Ghost House Trail
There are several claims of activity involving the Ghost House Trail. The first has to do with Maston Hutchinson’s daughter Mary. Mary’s loved ones claimed to hear her cries coming from the bedroom just hours after she had fallen victim to tuberculosis. People walking near the spot where the house used to stand claim to still hear Mary’s cries. A phantom dog has also been spotted on the trail. This claim dates back to the same night that Mary died. Her family and friends were traveling along the road leading to the where house once stood when a dog appeared out of the woods and crossed the path. Park goers claim to hear the panting of the dog coming from the woods. The final claim about this trail revolves around the family cemetery. Many claim that if you take a picture near the graves you can see the silhouettes of the long dead standing behind them in the picture. The name Ghost House Trail certainly seems to be a fitting name for this trail.
Indian Rock Trail
The trail leads past the spot where Peter Graves was ambushed, scalped and killed by
Native Americans. On many occasions, hikers have claimed to see the mutilated body of Peter walking around the area where he was brutally murdered.
Old Mill Trail
Norton Grist Mill marks the spot where a young girl was hung by her father. She had been accused of being a witch. Her sprit is said haunt the trail that leads to the mill. Not much else is known about this haunting.
The Man in the Woods
On many occasions, park visitors have seen a man walking in the woods far from the nearest trails. This man has been spotted by park rangers, who describe him as being middle-aged and wearing a red flannel shirt and gray work pants. He never speaks, just simply materializes and vanishes with out a trace. No one knows who this man is or if it is even paranormal.
For more info, check out these sites:
Big Ridge State Park was created in the 1930s as part of the Norris Project. The project was developed by the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA), National Park Service, and the Civilian Conservation Corps. The Norris Project turned into three state parks (Big Ridge, Norris Dam, and Cove Lake). The park officially opened in May of 1934. Big Ridge is located about 25 miles away from Knoxville in Maynardville, TN.
In 1783, a man by the name of Henry Sharp established a pioneer fort beside Norris Lake in what is now Big Ridge State Park. When the fort was established it was part of Hawkins County, today it is located in Union County. Sharp brought his family as well as the families of his neighbors. Many of these families are still prominent members of Union County including Sharp, Graves, Hinds, Gibbs, Loy, Miller and Rice. Sharp’s Station was part of a network of trade routes and safe stops for travelers en route to Jacksboro . Some of the other stations in this network included: James White’s Fort, Well’s Station, Gibbs’ Blockhouse, Raccoon Miller’s Blockhouse, and Holmack’s Station.
On November 13, 1794 a settler from Sharp’s Station by the name of Peter Graves was ambushed by Native Americans on top of Big Ridge about a half-mile away from the station. The Natives where hiding between two huge boulders. Peter was killed and scalped. Peter was laid to rest in Lon Sharp Cemetery. He was the first settler to be buried there. A few weeks later the station was attacked. Fighting went on well into the night, by morning, none of the settlers were harmed and several attackers were wounded. The raiding party withdrew across the river. Fighting continued sporadically until the summer of 1794.
Norton Grist Mill
The mill was constructed in 1825 by Tim McCoy, who transferred operations to Lewis Norton and his sons. In the 1930s the TVA purchased the mill and surrounding lands as part of the Norris Project. People from all over the area relied on the mill to turn their corn into corn meal. The owner of the mill would take one gallon of meal out of each bushel ground into corn meal as payment. The mill wasn’t just for grinding corn, it was a spot for social gatherings. Locals would gossip with neighbors, traded knives and horses, played music, and sometimes told fairytales. The mill that stands today is not the original mill. The park service reconstructed it in 1968, vintage features from the original still remain including the raceway, gears, wheel shaft and mill stones.
In the 1800s Maston Hutchinson and his family settled in the Big Ridge area. While living in the area Matson’s daughter, Mary, was stricken with Tuberculosis. Like so many that contracted this disease she did not survive. Maston continued to live in the area until his death in 1910. He was laid to rest in the Norton Cemetery located just down the trail from his family home.
L.B. & Della Hutcheson
Lewis Bratch Hutcheson and his wife Della where amongst the settlers living in the Dark Hollow region of Big Ridge. L.B. was a Sheriff of Union County from 1930 until his death in 1935. L.B. was killed in the line of duty in May of 1935 when a group of criminals that had just escaped from the Cocke County Jail opened fire on road block L.B. had sat up on the Highway 33 bridge. After L.B.’s death, his wife Della was selected by the Union County Court to be the new Sheriff. She was the first female Sheriff of Union County and only the third in the state of Tennessee.
Mingus cemetery is located in Cherokee, NC. In order to get to the cemetery, you must hike along the Mingus Creek Trail for about 2.5 miles. There are a couple of trail marks along the way that will let you know if you are still headed in the right direction. The trailhead is located about three quarters of a mile north of the Oconaluftee Visitors Center.
The Mingus Cemetery is also known as the Mingus (Watson) Cemetery. Based own what is known about the cemetery, there are 29 marked graves in total. The graves are believed to be from early pioneers from the area. The cemetery appears to have started sometime in the early to middle 1800s The graves are only marked by fieldstones, and of these stones only one grave is marked with a name. Most of the graves belong to the Mingus and Watson families. Many members of the Mingus family worked at the mill which is located at the start of the trail. The mill, which opened in 1886, provided much needed cornmeal to the area. In that time period, cornmeal was a well sought after commodity, as it was part of most families’ main diet.
The only headstone in the entire cemetery with a name marked on it belongs to Mrs. Polly Mathis. From what we where able to find there are only six graves that have been identified.
Polly Mathis b. 1888 d.1934
Sarah Elizabeth Harris b. 1847 d. 1919
Ephraim Mingus b. 1794 d. 1847
Henry Adolphus Smith b. 1848 d. 1916
Thomas Willard Watson b. 1917 d. 1917
William Henry Watson b.1834 d. 1904
While we were there, we conducted a few EVP sessions at different parts of the cemetery. We started by asking general questions to any spirit that could have been around. We then turned our questions to Mrs. Polly Mathis. Finally, we conducted a session on the far right side of the cemetery near the smaller graves. Believing that these graves may belong to children, we asked a variety of questions to the children. We reviewed the sessions but nothing audible was captured.
We believe that most of the people that where laid to rest in the Mingus Cemetery are at peace. The location of these cemetery is simply beautiful and very peaceful. If there are any spirts still wandering around the cemetery, we were unable to communicate with them and hope that they may some day find peace.